What is the Digital Service Standard?
The Digital Service Standard is a set of best practice principles for the design and delivery of government services.
- 1.Understand user needsUnderstand user needs. Research to develop a deep knowledge of the users and their context for the service.
- 2.Have a multidisciplinary teamEstablish a sustainable multidisciplinary team to design, build, operate and iterate the service, led by an experienced product manager with decision-making responsibility.
- 3.Agile and user-centred processDesign and build the service using the service design and delivery process, taking an agile and user-centred approach.
- 4.Understand tools and systemsUnderstand the tools and systems required to build, host, operate and measure the service and how to adopt, adapt or procure them.
- 5.Make it secureIdentify the data and information the service will use or create. Put appropriate legal, privacy and security measures in place.
- 6.Consistent and responsive designBuild the service with responsive design methods using common design patterns and the style guide.
- 7.Use open standards and common platformsBuild using open standards and common government platforms where appropriate.
- 8.Make source code openMake all new source code open by default.
- 9.Make it accessibleEnsure the service is accessible to all users regardless of their ability and environment.
- 10.Test the serviceTest the service from end to end, in an environment that replicates the live version.
- 11.Measure performanceMeasure performance against KPIs set out in the guides. Report on public dashboard.
- 12.Don’t forget the non-digital experienceEnsure that people who use the digital service can also use the other available channels if needed, without repetition or confusion.
- 13.Encourage everyone to use the digital serviceEncourage users to choose the digital service and consolidate or phase out existing alternative channels where appropriate.
Users shouldn't have to understand government
The Digital Service Standard:
- puts users of government services first
- helps teams build services fast
- helps government use technology better
When should you follow the Digital Service Standard?
Use the Digital Service Standard as soon as you identify a user need.
Scope of the Standard
All government services which were designed or redesigned after 6 May 2016 fall within the scope of the Standard and must be assessed against it.
There is also a moratorium on service investment that may apply to the service that you are working on.