Why create user-centred content?
The benefits of providing user-centred content include:
- improved user experience — good user experiences will increase uptake of digital services over alternative methods
- users are able to access a digital service they might not otherwise be able to access — for example, users who speak languages other than English may not need to use interpreters
- savings in money and time by avoiding unnecessary re-work of products and services
When to create user-centred content
Before you start to design content, find out about your users so you can understand how it can meet their needs. Then consider user needs throughout the development of content.
- Identifying users and their needsUser needs are the starting point for any service work.
- Understanding diversityRecognise and be aware that users have diverse needs and capabilities.
- Getting buy-inGet buy-in from senior leadership and stakeholders for content improvement.
- Content designDesign content so users find the information they need quickly and easily.
- Testing contentHow to test and check your content is easy to read and use.