Content production template
Download the content production template to use–from planning and writing through to checking and revising content.
Using the template
Content authors should use the main content section of the template to write.
The template also allows anyone involved in creating content to:
- have context of the content and the user’s need
- provide a checklist for reviewers, according to expertise
- guide those not experienced in writing for the web
Sets out the site location of the page and content type. Complete this section first and include important details such as go-live date and the content’s status.
Anyone can complete this section from their preparation of what the user needs to do or find. This helps everyone using the template to know the content’s objective.
Quality content checks
Relevant experts use these checks to review the content for quality. Each expert can complete as done, or make notes for any changes.
- subject expert — factual accuracy and relevance
- product owner — product objectives
- legal — legislative requirement
- content or subject expert — metadata
- content expert — readability and quality
- content expert or publisher — accessibility
- publishers — product owner and publisher
Main content area
The content author, whether subject expert or content expert, to set out the content for the web page.
Priority 2 content
The content author to complete for any callout content.
Priority 3 content
Content author to complete any relevant related links and contact details.
- The first sentence sets an expectation for what’s on the page.
- Your main content contains your key message or user need.
- Use a heading hierarchy (H1, H2, H3) to signpost the user’s journey through the page.
- Use text that describes the link including the URL in brackets.
- Add a call-to-action so that the user knows what to do.
- Use steps or bullet points for instructions.
- Use header rows for tables.
Resources for authors and reviewers
- Content GuideThis 'living' guide helps government teams create simple, clear and accessible digital content.
- Check and revise contentInvolve the right people and expertise to check and test content quality before revising and final sign off.
- Writing for accessibility and inclusivityHow to design content for everyone.